They say the 2 most important days in your life are: 1) when you’re born and 2) when you find your purpose in life. I have always been passionate about sports and love pushing my mind and body to its limits! I have competed in 100km adventure races, half Ironmans, marathons, and pretty much every known major obstacle race in Australia. Out of all the OCRs in Australia, it was Spartan Race that resonated with me the most.
Being a Personal Trainer and Mental Toughness Coach I know that your health MUST be your #1 priority as it affects every aspect of your life. I see Spartan Race as the vehicle to reach the masses in a fun, challenging environment.
I’ve been told that if it feels right go for it—so I have. After joining the Australian Street Team and competing in the first two Australian Spartan races, I have found my true passion and purpose in life. Some people think I’m crazy to just get up and travel the USA doing Spartan Races for 2 1/2 months. I stand up for what I believe in no matter what the cost.
Yes it’s expensive, but I’m doing something I love doing. I’m not just existing, I’m LIVING.
When I’m old sitting on my rocking chair, I don’t want to look back on my life and say WHAT IF? We need to live everyday like it was our last. You only get one shot at this life that I know about (lol) so make it count.
A true Spartan proves himself through action, not words. So many people talk the talk but don’t walk the walk, that’s why I’m here: to learn, train and race with the best. Currently I have competed in four USA Spartan races, Charlotte sprint, Vegas Super, Citi Field sprint and Indiana sprint. I have two more races in Canada to go: Montreal sprint and Vancouver sprint.
My goal is to become a better leader and help people become a better “YOU” or “Spartans” everyday. Those slight changes, whether in diet, exercise or building new habits, make a huge difference! You don’t wake up and become a super athlete or 30kg over weight in one night. It’s the daily little disciplines you do every day. It’s not rocket science, getting healthy is easy: 80% Diet and Nutrition and 20% exercise. We all know what is good for us, but we live in a world where we eat for satisfaction and comfort. Anything that is alive, grows from the ground or a tree, eat it! (I recommend Paleo, but that’s me :))
I feel so lucky and privileged to be on this Spartan journey, traveling around this amazing country and meeting so many inspirational people. You would think making the top 10 in two US races would be pretty rewarding and self fulfilling (yea, I got a buzz and felt pretty cool!) But you know what really gets me excited?—volunteering at the races, giving back generously to my fellow Spartans. To inspire someone to push themselves harder than that they thought possible gets me going, whether it’s helping them over an obstacle or motivating them with words of encouragement to overcome their fears and limiting beliefs. The smiles and thank yous are worth the husky voice and sore feet at the end of the day.
Spartan’s mission is to break you during the race mentally and physically. You need to be able to master your emotions. It’s hard for a reason; it takes stamina and pure tenacity to finish a Spartan Race. You must be able to think on your feet and have the readiness to change your approach or pay the consequences with burpees. Every race I’m learning continuously through my flaws, but also through my strengths.
After each race, make sure you ask yourself these 3 questions:
1) What did I do great today?
2) How can I improve?
3) What three actions am I going to take so I can kick some ass at the next race?
We all have the power to create the life we desire and deserve. It takes courage and commitment to follow your dreams. Keep yourself accountable my friends! The beautiful thing about the Spartan Community is that we are one big family here to support you on this amazing journey called life. THIS IS SPARTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Now get down and give me 30 burpees ;)
- Michael Aspinall
No comments:
Post a Comment