Thursday, May 16, 2013

20 life lessons learned chopping wood

While chopping wood here in Vermont, I have learned

1)  25 giant logs to split up for firewood is a lot of work.  Don’t let a big task overwhelm you.  Make a decision to do what ever it takes to finish the task.  Every action you take is either getting you one step closer to your goal or further away.

2)  I broke 2 axes and nearly lost a limb in the process - lol.  Work is 10x quicker with the right tools in your hand.

3)  Chopping wood is extremely hard work.  It requires mental toughness and stamina to keep going when the wood does not crack.  Every hit I’m getting stronger and one step closer to cracking that prick!

4)  There is a correct technique to chopping wood.  If what you're doing does not work, change your approach.

5)  Wood is tough.  It's pointless being stubborn.  Know when to stop.  After 1000 hits, I let my ego disappear.  I gave up and moved on to the next log.  I would still be there now hitting the same block of wood making no progress.  Learn to let go and move on.

6)  It is a beautiful sound when the block of wood cracks.  You need to celebrate your wins no matter how small.

7)  Crack the wood into 8 pieces while still whole.  Work smarter, not harder.

8)  I listened to two audio books while working.  Keep your mind active and learn something during free time.

9)  Blisters will stop hurting when you stop giving it attention.  Whatever you focus on, you will feel.

10)  Ask for help!  I could have been stubborn and kept going with the crappy ax I found even after braking 2 other axes!  But instead I asked Pete for a new onebest decision I ever made.  It was perfect for the job.  “Ask and you shall receive.”

11)  Keep a tidy workplace.  Stack your wood neatly.  First impressions count.

12)  Hit the log 10x or 20x, it might not crackbut the 21st time it will!  Never give up on your dreams or goals.  Perseverance is the key.

13)  Every log is different: some cracked easy, some were a real prick, and some didn’t crack at all.  In life you're going to come across really nice people.  You're going to get some pricks, too.  But definitely don't waste your time and energy on life suckers, people who are not willing to change and bad influence on you! “If you lay down with dogs, you will end up with fleas.”

14)  You get a sore back chopping wood.  Pain is temporary.  After the first few hrs, I though "What have I got myself into here?!?"  My back was starting to hurt, but I kept on going and eventually the pain disappeared!  My rule: If I’m injured, I will stop immediately.  But if I’m in pain, I will keep going.

15)  Food + Water = Energy.  Make sure you keep your fluids up during a tough workout.  If you're thirsty,  you're already dehydrated.  Eat like a king for breakfast, you can burn the excess calories away during the day!

16)  Set mini goals.  Every 3 big stumps I completely split, I allowed myself a break.  The mind needs a target and something to aim for.  Keep your word; don’t lie to yourself!  The more you reward yourself from the inside out, your belief and mental toughness will get stronger.

17)  Don’t get angry at the log.  Swearing and smashing the log with all your might does not work all the time.  Sometimes you have to take your time and assess the situation from a different prospective.  Flip the log over and hit it in the rear, works for me ;)

18)  Big/small logs.  Damn, some of those smaller logs were tough as compared to the big guys.  Don't underestimate the task before you.

19)  Don’t post two broken axes on Facebook.  People will think you're a lousy axeman - lol

20)  Clean up your woodchips, or whatever mess you've made.  I found five golf balls in the bush emptying the rubbish :)

- Mick




This is Spartaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!

3 comments:

  1. great article Mic who thought chopping wood could be so philosophical, 8 & 13 very good

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks guys, amazing what can come from chopping wood lol!

    ReplyDelete